NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profitmaking, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
1 - Background
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Cameroon since 2017 to support Central African Refugees in the eastern part of the country (Adamawa) and in Southwest region for IDPs and host communities’ victims of the anglophone conflict. DRC Cameroon currently implements Protection, Food Security and Livelihood and Education in Emergency projects.
2 - Purpose
Under the supervision of the Head of Program, the Protection Coordinator functions as a specialist within the protection sector area, and leads on strategy development and technical support to protection programs in Cameroon.
3 - Duties and Responsibilities
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on issues related to protection
- Represent DRC at relevant (cluster/sector) coordination meetings.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of protection sector at all levels
- Prepare regular protection analyses and advocacy document
General Programming & Operations
- Develop protection country strategy
- Ensure the monitoring and technical supervision of quality of protection intervention
- Produce protection needs assessments, analyses, periodic reports and other quality documents related to protection
- Ensure strategic integration of Protection activities with other DRC sectors.
- Support the SMT in ensuring protection mainstreaming in all aspects of the mission (programmes and support
- Evaluate needs and opportunities for protection programmin
- Work closely with all relevant departments to ensure implementation of DRC's Code of Conduct and Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PEAS) policy (including capacity building / training)
- Ensure and actively facilitate regular meetings/training on protection for all DRC staff in Cameroon
- Participate in preparing and ensuring quality of monthly/quarterly/annual internal and external reports
- Lead on the development of proposals for protection activities in coordination with the Area Managers and the Head of Program
- Ensure the quality of the protection programs by providing technical guidance to Project Managers/Team Leaders, developing tools needed for quality implementation, and assure the training of the teams on technical aspects
- Ensure compliance with global/national/regional protection cluster standards, DRC protection guidance, and global best practices
- Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding
- Assist in developing Monitoring & Evaluation tools and the capturing of learning
4 - Required Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in protection working for an INGO
- Documented skills in project planning and design, including proposal development
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in project development
- Experience working with INGOs, national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
- Full professional proficiency in English and French, including excellent writing skills in both languages
- Proven technical expertise in the following thematics: child protection, emergency protection, community-based protection, counselling, durable solutions, and psychosocial support
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate
- Understanding of the different contexts of the West Africa Region
5 - Required Skills & Qualities
Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
Adaptable and Flexible
Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
Team-oriented & good sense of humor
6 - General Regulations
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
7 - Salary & contractual conditions
- Position Title: Protection Coordinator
- Supervised by: Head of Programme
- Reporting to: Head of Programme
- Location: Yaounde - Cameroon
- Duty Station: Family Duty Station - Non-accompanied position
- Aera of Operation: Country
- Employement Period: 12 months (potentially renewable)
- Type of Contract (Expat/National/Trainee): Expatriate or national
- Salary & Benefits: Non-management G - Level 1
How to apply:
8 - Application Process
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line**:**
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English or French**.**
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
Applications close on the 8th of October, 2020. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries.
We pride ourselves on our:
• Professionalism, impact & expertise
• Humanitarian approach & the work we do
• Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
• Culture, values & strong leadership
• Fair compensation & continuous development
Read more here about what our employees say about working in DRC.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
Apply to Job