Program Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Consultant Canadian Red Cross
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Canadian Red Cross is Canada’s leading Humanitarian Organization whose mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization with 191 member-National Societies globally. The CRC is housed within the IFRC Americas Regional Office (ARO) and is committed to ensure its actions are non-discriminatory towards people of all ages and backgrounds, and to promote gender equality and respect for diversity, and integrate prevention and response to gender-based violence across operations.
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), with the support of Global Affairs Canada (GAC), and the IFRC are implementing the Community Resilience Building in the Caribbean (CRB) project which aims to strengthen community resilience in the Caribbean and in alignment with GAC’s Feminist International Assistance Policy. The project supports the institutional development and capacity building of three RC National Societies (NS) in Belize, Suriname and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Multiple stakeholders include the Red Cross Caribbean Disaster Risk Management Reference Center (CADRIM), National Disaster Offices, and local Gender Ministries or special interest groups. The project also supports community led interventions and enhanced collaboration among all stakeholders in order to achieve its aims. These combined efforts will result in communities being prepared for and therefore more resilient to hazards and risks associated with disasters and climate change.
The PMER Consultant will be contracted by the IFRC’s Secretariat Regional Office in the Americas but will work under the direction of the Canadian Red Cross’s Panama office representative for the Americas, based in Panama. Its primary focus will be supporting the CRB project activities with possibility to assist the Panama office in other tasks or emerging projects.
This is a home-based contractor status position that will work remotely from home with frequent visits in the Caribbean and Latin Americas region as permitted, considering COVID-19, safety and security. The primary project locations are in Belize, Suriname and St-Vincent & the Grenadines and with coordination from Panama and Trinidad & Tobago offices. For this reason, applicants must reside in the Caribbean or Latin America regions as travel in this geographic area will be required (as permitted). 2. JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Canadian Red Cross Panama office representative, the PMER Consultant will be responsible for the day to day monitoring of activities and advising on best practices and strengthening the quality, accountability, performance and impact of the CRB project which is applying results-based management and associated tools (e.g., logic model, performance management framework). The key areas of focus include supporting the CRB project team in robust planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, and knowledge management. The selected candidate will also be responsible for upholding the Canadian Red Cross (CRC) and IFRC’s approaches in working with partners and community members such as facilitating active involvement and capacity building of National Societies in all phases of the project cycle from planning, assessment, monitoring, evaluation and learning. The post holder will also work closely with PMER technical advisor from Head Office in Canada.
In addition, the PMER Consultant will be responsible for supporting the project implementing partners (3 National Societies) in the development and ongoing use of mechanisms to ensure compliance with the Canadian Government funder’s accountability requirements.
Monitoring - 25%
- Monitor status of activities continuously and inform the Panama office representative on the progress based on the findings of data analysis and recommend necessary adjustments to the implementation plan.
- Support the implementing partners staff/volunteers in the development or enhancement of monitoring plans and systems
- Maintain project Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system with the ongoing input of data as per PMF indicators
- Ensure the proper implementation of the data collection system to measure the indicators; the design and maintenance of an electronic data management system; lead data analysis
- Provide the necessary coaching to staff and volunteers on how to use the data collection tools.
- Support the monitoring process of baseline and indicator measurement
- Provide input to improve Regional Program outcome and output monitoring and reporting
- Support the M&E team to regularly report on Regional Program progress and implementation of activities at staff meetings
- Support reporting processes based on the performance of individual projects / programs and agreed outcomes, outputs, indicators
- Support or lead the development of standardized reporting formats based on agreements and guidelines
- Support and initiate the development of graphs to illustrate accumulated data for reports and presentations to stakeholders.
- Monitor and review project progress, assess constraints and take corrective action, ensuring early warning of risks to the regional representative and project team for action
- Monitor and revise the project’s risk matrix as required
- Conduct regular monitoring field visits when COVID-19 pandemic situation will allow
Reporting – 25%
- Revise the reporting tools and calendar for the project according the Global Affairs Canada and CRC internal requirements and when it’s necessary
- Provide technical assistance to the project team in results-based reporting
- Lead the preparation of project narrative reports according to projects reporting requirements
- Guide and support implementing partners in the preparation and submission of NS and IFRC narrative and financial reports
- In coordination with CRC’s Finance and Administration Coordinator, review PCO, NS and IFRC financial reports and fund transfer requests and recommend approvals
- Support the CRC Panama office and Ottawa HQ in the development of internal briefs or requests from donors when required
- Input of PMF data into Program Information Management System (PIMS) in the Results Based Management (RBM) section
- Submit mission report after field missions
- Coordinate the submission of quarterly reports from the National Society implementing partners and lead the consolidation of semi-annual and annual reporting to the project back donor, Global Affairs Canada.
Capacity Building/ Learning - 15%
- In collaboration with NSs and PMER technical advisors, identify M&E training needs of project staff and volunteers
- Contribute to increasing the technical capacity of National Society staff and volunteers in the areas of planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Organize and conduct refresher sessions on PMER for project volunteers and staff as needed
- Support project annual planning and review processes
- Provide technical support and advice to NSs and implementing partners on an ad hoc basis.
- Develop knowledge management and learning mechanisms within the project
- Work with project team to utilize data collected for quality improvement
- Design and lead the documentation process of lessons learned and best practices
- Use feedback captured from project participants and partners to influence and guide the implementation project.
- Organize learning events and workshops for program units to document lessons learnt, good practices and areas of improvement
- Ensure communication compliance with CRC’s Contribution Agreement with Global Affairs Canada, the Project Implementation Plan, and CRC’s requirements.
- Ensure the implementation of project’s annual communication strategy in collaboration with the communications officer
- Promote and oversee the dissemination of project information, including project successes, case studies, sector specific analyses, lessons learned, and best practices, including the preparation of a project newsletter.
- Participate in and provide input in regional and national forums, workshops, and meetings
- Participate in the design and management of evaluations activities for the project including hiring of consultants where required and maintain and update a calendar of evaluations
- Participate in mid-term and final project evaluations including operational audits of project/program activities when required. Contribute to the development of terms of references, inception reports and data collection tools. Review and provide feedback to draft evaluation reports
- Ensure effective and concrete participation of staff and volunteers in the ongoing evaluation of projects, and their implication in formal evaluations. Develop tracking mechanisms for implementation of the recommendations from the evaluation and report the status on a regular basis.
Planning – 15%
- Provide technical assistance in program planning and annual reviews and the review of all relevant documents such as the annual work plan, logic model, performance measurement framework, which includes indicators as well as monitoring and evaluation plan; risk registers, annual work plans and project implementation plan
- Develop capacity in these areas within the NSs staff/volunteers and for implementing partners as required
- Coordinate the effective implementation of needs assessments or gap analysis where required in project cycle
- Coordinate the effective implementation of the end line survey as required in the project
- Develop processes/procedures and tools that support the data collection and analysis in a quality and credible manner
- Ensure cross cutting issues (gender equality, governance and environmental sustainability); lessons learned, and best practices are being integrated into projects and plans
- Ensure continuous and effective learning and improvement throughout the project life**3. Work Approach**
The PMER Consultant will convene or conduct visits to the National Societies where the project is being implemented to support them in their ongoing activities and planning process to integrate cross-cutting themes and provide technical support.
The CRC Panama office representative in Panama will provide strategic guidance and close managerial support with support from the Canadian Red Cross National Office in Ottawa.
The PMER Consultant will also work in close coordination with the other CRC staff supporting the CRB project in the field which are the Regional Advisor for Protection, Gender Equality, Social Inclusion and Community Engagement and Accountability (PGIE), the Disaster Risk Reduction Officer and the Finance and Administration coordinator as well as the IFRC CRB project focal point.
This coordination is done mainly through virtual meetings required and agreed by the partners, the National Societies, IFRC and CRC.
To deliver the tasks in the terms of reference are delivered in accordance to the project annual workplan and project implementation plan.
The scheduled term for the consultancy will not exceed 40 hours/week for a period of 12 months, with possibility of extension.
- Advanced studies in some relevant discipline e.g. social sciences, international development, project management, environmental studies
- Certificate or Diploma in Monitoring and Evaluation or an equivalent combination of education and experience, preferred
- Demonstrated experience in program planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting using results-based management over a minimum 3-year period
- Demonstrated experience in designing or managing project tracking tools
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and organizational development with an emphasis on systems, tools, and resource development
- Good knowledge on quantitative and qualitative research methods and other evaluation methods
- Demonstrated knowledge and use statistics software, STATA, HMIS, SPSS or advanced Excel constitute an asset, preferred
- Previous Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement experience is an asset,preferred
- Good knowledge of Global Affairs Canada (formerly DFATD) requirements and Results Based Management is an asset, preferred
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Good stress management skills
- Good analytical skills and solution focused person
- Excellent communication skills
- Time Management skills
- Good management skills, preferred
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Fluent spoken and written Spanish, preferred
PAYMENT MODALITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS
- Bimonthly payment upon submission of approved monthly invoice and statement of services delivered.
How to apply:
Candidates must submit the following information
• Curriculum Vitae, resume (or company profile)
• Examples of recent work
• Attach your economic offer for this project and tentative work schedule (the rights,
materials and supplies, fees and other expenses derived from the completion of this work must be included in the cost).
Please note that the selected candidate will be hired through a consultancy contract;
The incumbent is responsible to abide by Federation policies, procedures, plans.
Only those candidates shortlisted for interviews will be notified.
Submit your proposal to email@example.com
Apply to Job