Program Finance Manager
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Rare inspires change, so people and nature thrive. Our culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial, committed to working towards ambitious goals and creating measurable results.
Rare is growing and expanding its impact through a range of exciting programs, including Fish Forever – a global initiative to restore near-shore fisheries in the tropics. Demand for fish has pushed the oceans to their limits. Coastal communities sit at the intersection of society and ecology, directly dependent on healthy ecosystems to provide fish for food and income. We believe that empowering communities to protect and manage coastal waters will help address this crisis. Delivering community, rights-based management systems for coastal fisheries, connecting managed access of fisheries with fully protected marine reserves, will result in transformative impact for both people and nature. We envision a future in which 100% of coastal fisheries are sustainably managed with networks of reserves replenishing and sustaining fishing areas to support vibrant, prosperous communities. Fish Forever is helping improve fishery productivity, profitability and sustainability while also boosting livelihoods, protecting habitats and enhancing coastal resilience to climate change.
The Program Finance Manager, Fish Forever position will play a critical role in achieving these goals by working closely with the Fish Forever global team and ensuring staff are well equipped to implement the strategy. S/he is involved in budgeting, expenditure analysis, program grant compliance and other financial management functions. The position supports the operations component of the global program management team that ensures all programmatic and financial commitments are met for Rare’s Fish Forever program. S/he must be a relationship-builder who can lead through influence and work comfortably with staff and senior management.
This position supports the Senior Director in global financial management, programmatic grant/donor compliance and financial planning. The Program Finance Manager will work with Fish Forever staff both in the US and overseas, and in coordination with Rare’s finance and global development teams to ensure management of program finances and compliance with Rare’s and donors’ policies and procedures. In close collaboration with the Senior Director, s/he will work to build the systems and processes to manage this global program.
- Support the Senior Director in the preparation, analysis and tracking of Fish Forever budgets and related documents/tools
- Support direct oversight of the Fish Forever Arlington budget
- Coordinate, track and communicate revisions to program funding or budgets to relevant stakeholders within Fish Forever
Assist in the development of proposal budgets. Review grant proposal budgets developed by finance/country teams for completeness and accuracy
Coordinate with finance and country teams to collect quarterly financial forecasts
Review forecasts to ensure they match workplans and comply with grant agreement/donor requirements
Ensure financial updates and budget-to-actual reports are available for program reviews
Review financial reports for accuracy and variances. Coordinate with finance and country teams to address variances
Monitor program spending to ensure it is within budget and is in compliance with grant/donor requirements
Ensure availability of funds for new contracts and outstanding invoices
- Support finance and program leadership, to conduct periodic trainings for budget owners and local partners on budget management, allowable costs and grant compliance
- In coordination with Finance develop tools, guidance documents and systems to assist budget owners with management of program budgets
- Assist with identifying areas to enrich both US and country staff knowledge, and coordinate knowledge sharing
- Determine cost of program activities and operations by establishing standard costs
- Analyze program financial data to identify trends, design cost models and provide recommendations to program leadership
- Conduct periodic financial reviews in Fish Forever geographies to identify gaps and risks
- Report findings and recommendations to Fish Forever leadership and Rare Finance
- Support country teams in implementing recommendations to address findings
- Facilitate effective coordination between Finance, Development, Program teams in the US and other geographies on program financial matters
- Any other duties as assigned
Experience and Education:
- Master’s (or equivalent) degree in business administration, finance, accounting, international business or a related field
- A minimum of 4-6years of relevant work experience required
- Experience working with an international nonprofit desirable
- Strong project management experience
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience managing multiple restricted grants desirable
- Experience setting up and managing cost centers preferred
- Ability to perform complex tasks and experience prioritizing competing requests
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse and global community
- Ability to work flexible hours in order to accommodate virtual, international meetings
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments
- Knowledge of global conservation funding sources preferred
- Ability to travel to country project sites
- The incumbent must be fluent in English.
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia, a plus.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V
How to apply:
Please apply via our career portal page at:
Apply to Job