Head of Support - Venezuela
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
Are you passionate about leadership and support in a humaitarian operation?
Do you want to join our team in Venezuela and lead the team of senior support managers?
We are now looking for a Head of Support for our Venezuela country operation. NRC is scaling up its response to the situation in Venezuela, and the role of the Head of Support will be crucial in the strengthening of the support functions in the NRC country office.
The purpose of the Head of Support position is to ensure that all support functions are providing high quality and efficient support to programme implementation.
NRC has been operational in Venezuela since 2005, initially focusing on providing legal assistance to Colombian refugees who had crossed the border due to tensions in their country of origin. In 2018, in light of the deteriorating humanitarian crisis, NRC Venezuela expanded its operations inside the country by implementing a wide range of interventions in WASH, Education, Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Food Security and Livelihoods sectors across the states of Bolivar, Portuguesa, Barina, Apure, Táchira and Zulia states.
In addition to direct implementation of critical programme services and capacity building of local organizations, NRC – as the largest established NGO in Venezuela – also plays a critical role in coordination at multiple levels.
The country office is located in Caracas and the team is currently comprised of sixteen internationals and an extensive national team spanning all programme areas along with support functions.
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the recruitment process and start date may be delayed. Nevertheless, we encourage qualified candidates to apply and we will inform shortlisted applicants of any changes as the process evolves. Thank you for your understanding.
Duties and responsibilities
- Create collaborative and supportive working relationships between support and programme teams in all offices, ensuring respectful communication and timely responses
- Lead the nationalization of the support managers at Country Office level (end 2021)
- Build the skills, leadership and strategic vision of the support function managers to set up policies and processes, to think creatively and develop cost and time effective support systems at national level
- Ensure support team competency (skills and knowledge) in the implementation of cash-based interventions and market based programmes during emergency, recovery and protracted crisis contexts
- Ensure that NRC Venezuela operates within all relevant national laws, and complies with all regulations including those related to the labor law
- At the request of the Country Director, participate in the investigation of allegations of suspected fraud or misconduct and produce required reports
- Responsible for corruption mapping and mitigation practices and procedures in the program;
- Support and lead organizational development and change management processes
- Support the roll out and ensure monitoring of the organizational initiatives (Fair share financial model, Securing Supporting Document initiative, etc.)
Deputize for the CD when requested
Line management for support managers such as Finance, HR & Admin and Logistics (incl. ICT)
Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
Facilitate the support functions strategic input to the development of the Country Strategy and Plan of Action
Provide input on operational support in proposal development, and to coordinate and align operational support with programme plans
Responsible for ensuring quality and timely support to project implementation.
Facilitate the Master Support Budget, country level budgets and BPO development, including assess and monitor costs and resource allocation needs
Responsible for the strategic development of country structures, technical systems, human resource capacity and allocation
Responsible for development of new country specific technical SOPs, guidelines and tools
Responsible for organisational learning related to programme support
Responsible for technical capacity building of support staff
Promote the rights of refugees and displaced in line with the advocacy strategy.
Ensure that key learnings are extracted from operations regarding protection, and incorporate them into program strategy and staff development processes.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Allocation of resources and costs expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of market analysis and cash-based interventions
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both written and verbal
- Valid drivers licence
- Knowledge of and previous experience from Latin America
- Experience in implementation of humanitarian projects/programs
- Solid knowledge of Logistic and procurement, HR and finance routines in a humanitarian context
- We are looking for a strategic thinker with analytical skills and abilty to manage performance of senior managers.
- You are able to empower others and build trust.
- You have excellent communication skills
- You have excellent problem solving skills
- You have the ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- You are flexible and able to deal with sudden changes
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
We can offer
Commencement: As soon as possible
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
Grade: 11 - see attached NRC grade structure.
Duty station: Caracas, Venezuela with approx 10% travel .
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on candidates.
Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
How to apply:
Please apply online by using the links below:
Apply to Job