Head of Programmes
NGO Jobs / UN Jobs Vacancy
The Head of Programs is responsible for the strategic development, institutional funding, planning, oversight management and delivery of all Syria Relief (SR) programmes inside Syria mainly North West and East Syria.
Programmes Management: 30%
- Ensure that SR's Humanitarian response policy and framework is timely reviewed and implemented.
- Ensure development programs of SR are in line with the UN sustainable development goals.
- Ensure the delivery of programmes with demonstrable impact and is accountable for overall program quality and learning.
- Ensure timely and qualitative narrative reports to HQ, funding partners and donors.
- Engage in relevant external networks for learning and sharing of best practice in project and program management
- Work closely with the CD, programmes staff of SR Turkey and to identify emerging issues and new approaches / innovations which could lead to potential new areas of program intervention.
- Participate fully in the budget process and programs financial reporting, leading the program budgeting process, and provide ongoing oversight and management of program budgets in the most efficient way.
- Define and manage SR's Risk framework including risk policies and procedures in order to enable proactive risk management / Compliance.
- Working across departments to ensure visibility of impact made through programs team.
- Develop, implement and embed, a knowledge management system that will ensure the sharing of knowledge across the program.
Programming Strategy Development 10%
- Provide overall strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning, budgeting, and implementation of the Program Strategy.
- Shaping future of SR through the execution of SR's Strategic Goals.
- Develop SR strategy in line with the Sr's Global Programs strategy and ensure timely implementation.
Institutional Funding and strategic partnerships 40%
- Develop strategy for Institutional Funding through comprehensive donor mapping
- Build strategic partnerships with institutional donors, International NGOs, networks and Corporate Sector organizations and represent SR's work appropriately.
- Secure funding from institutional donors, foundations and networks (Locally and internationally)
- Identify and maintain call for proposals from institutional donors (local and international) and submit timely quality proposals, budgets and log frames.
- Raising the profile of SR in the sector through networking and representing it on appropriate platforms.
Monitoring and Evaluation - 10%
- Ensure an appropriate monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system is in place and is functioning satisfactorily for both humanitarian relief and sustainable development. This includes developing M&E tools, need assessment templates and reports
- Ensure relevant and timely M&E information is provided in user-friendly formats to key stakeholders, including beneficiary communities, SR senior management and donors.
- Ensure maintenance of records of all project monitoring and evaluation reports, field visit reports, need assessments and baselines.
- Monitor implementation of M&E systems for emergency response and provide technical support where necessary.
- Ensure M&E lessons learned are in cooperated within program strategy, planning and implementation.
People management 10%
- Provide high quality leadership and support to Program team at SR and Syria
- Manage the programmes team to deliver on the program strategy, providing leadership and guidance.
- Responsible for Programs staff performance and learning by ensuring capacity building of with the appropriate technical skills, systems and thematic trainings.
- Build high performance culture in the programmes team.
Knowledge and experience
- A minimum of 8 years' program management experience in a senior management role, preferably in international non-government organizations
- A track record in analysing, planning and making decisions at a strategic level.
- Experience of budget development and financial management
- Proven track record of donor liaison, proposal development and reporting with institutional donors.
- Proven experience of working in partnership with NGOs and other civil society organizations and networks
- Educated to a master's degree level or equivalent experience
- A good understanding of and experience of working in developing countries or humanitarian contexts.
- Experience and knowledge of International Development gained in an international NGO;
- Experience in strengthening organizational processes and systems, including staff development;
- Experience of working with partner organisations and managing partnership relationships;
- Experience in producing narrative reports for donors and internal stakeholders.
- Good understanding and working knowledge of challenges faced by INGOs
- Solid knowledge of and experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
- Good understanding of the importance of child protection and safeguarding.
Skills and competencies
- Ability to manage and motivate staff;
- Ability to develop good working relationships with a range of stakeholders
- High level communication skills, including experience of communicating effectively
with diverse audiences, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong people skills, flexible and responsive to the needs of the team as well as the wider organization;
- Ability to reflect on how to use time most effectively and to manage a complex workload;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Keen interest in developing own skills and knowledge.
- Ability to travel to various project locations.
- Must adhere to the national charities policies and procedures.
- Must adhere to SR's vision, mission and core values.
- Must respect the confidentiality of all matters relating to his / her employment and other members of staff.
- Participate in the appraisal process and ensure that agreed objectives are achieved, taking responsibility for directing own learning and development activities (eg private study, e-learning)
- Attend and contribute positively to meetings, conferences and training courses as agreed with the CD and HoP UK
- Assist staff in other departments and regions as required in order to facilitate the work of the charity.
- Be able to undertake any other duties as per the request of the CD and HQ in the interest of the organization's objectives.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be
altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder.
How to apply:
How to Apply:
Please send a CV and cover letter indicating your experience to the attention of HR Department in Syria Relief to this email address "firstname.lastname@example.org" with the job code “SR-TR-HoP-002“ in the subject line.
"All Syrian Relief Association members (staff, volunteers and interns) are committed to the SYD policies such as SYD Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policy, Reporting Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Reporting Conflict of Interest, Reporting Misconduct."
Apply to Job