ILRI vacancy: Program Accountant – Internal (closing date: 7 February 2019)
The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Program Accountant who will be working with Animal and Human Health program at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
General: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager (PM), the Program Accountant will provide financial and administrative support including but not limited to preparation of donor reports for grants assigned.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Financial Accounting, Project Management and Donor Reporting
- Develop and maintain appropriate databases to ensure project financial management is done to meet various program financial demands;
- Prepare all projects’ payment requests for sub-grantees in collaboration with Program Manager, Project Manager (PM) and Project Leaders;
- Follow up with finance to ensure timely payments to sub-grantees and ensure transfer advices are shared with partners in a timely manner;
- Ensure project partners’ financial returns are submitted within set timelines. Review advance requests and financial returns by partners with reference to contractual obligations and partner financial obligations with liquidation effected in the ILRI financial management system;
- Preparing detailed monthly, quarterly and annual internal financial reports as requested by PM highlighting issues on over/under expenditure and adjustment of wrong postings in the system and to facilitate monitoring and tracking of project finances, and decision making by Project leaders;
- Maintain proper financial and non-financial project records of projects both in electronic (soft) and hard copies;
- Prepare donor financial reports/statements in collaboration with Program Manager, Project Manager, Project Leaders and Finance department and maintain appropriate compliance donor reporting databases;
- Compute project accruals annually and during project close outs and ensure they are captured in the system;
- Raise invoices and follow up reimbursements and transfer advices from partners/donors;
- Lead project specific audit and support external/internal audit as may be found necessary;
- Support annual budget preparation by working with Program Manager and Project Manager.
Proposal Development – Budget Development
- Participate in meetings during proposal development;
- Providing advise especially providing unit costs etc. towards development of proposal budgets;
- Preparing proposal budgets for review by Program Manager, Project Manager and Project Leader
- Uploading of project budgets to the ILRI System.
Project Settlements Reports, Travel Expense Reports, TAs, Requisitions
- Review Project Settlement Reports, Travel Expense Reports and Travel Authorizations (TAs)
- Review of all Travel Expense Reports for Program staff and consultants before approval by project leaders. Ensure that all support documents have been attached /provided for.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related fields.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with projects Accounting
- Professional training in Grants Management and Project Management are advantageous.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including spreadsheets and accounting software
- Full accounting qualifications CPA (K) or ACCA
- Must be an IT literate in use of Microsoft packages and conversant with ERP application software such as Suns systems 6 or Agresso Business World used for financial management
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participates as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload; takes initiative and can work under pressure.
- Highly effective planning with a positive attitude and strong accounting service orientation.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Good personal organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Commitment to ILRI’s mission and core values
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: 2C
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 19,112 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: PA/03/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 7 February 2019.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.