ICRISAT Vacancy: Senior Research Officer – Internal/External [Closing date: 21 February 2019]
The position: The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is seeks to recruit Senior Research Officer for its office based at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to offer scientific leadership in synthesizing bets -wet watershed management experience and approaches in Ethiopia and beyond.
General: The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is an International organization, one of the 15 CGIAR centres, which conducts agricultural research for rural development in drought-prone of Africa and Asia, headquartered in Patancheru (Hyderabad, Telangana, India) with several regional centers (Bamako (Mali), Nairobi (Kenya)) and country offices, including in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ICRISAT adopts integrated genetic and natural resources management as its overarching research strategy to improve productivity and enhance resilience of dryland systems. ICRISAT-Ethiopia works with national partners on availing technologies to dry land farmers and agro-pastoralists, enhancing technology utilization, linking farmers to markets, and strengthening the national capacity.
Job Purpose: Apart from providing scientific support to ICRISAT, the Senior Research Officer will be involved in reviewing incentives being used in integrated watershed management and/or projects with watershed components such as the Food Security Project and the Productive Safety Net project in Ethiopia and make specific recommendations on specific incentives that will generate and sustain community interest in participatory watershed management programs under differing cultural setting.
- Provide scientific leadership in synthesizing best-bet watershed management experiences, tools and approaches in Ethiopia and beyond;
- Review incentives being used in integrated watershed management and/or projects with watershed components such as the Food Security Project and the Productive Safety Net project in Ethiopia and make specific recommendations on specific incentives that will generate and sustain community interest in participatory watershed management programs under differing cultural settings;
- Conduct comparative studies of various watershed management initiatives and quantify upstream and downstream relationships at different scales using biophysical models, particularly SWAT analysis
- Conduct comparative studies between integrated watershed management practices between India and Ethiopia and how the Indian experience has influenced design/implementation in Ethiopia.
- Devise rapid impact assessment methods and relate the characteristics of design and implementation to outcomes and impacts.
- Work with multi-disciplinary team of agronomists, modelers, social scientists and other experts to enhance the adoption and promotion of integrated watershed management approaches;
- Develop and strengthen partnership between the various bureaus and regional agricultural research institutions so that expertise and technologies from the various institutions reach farmers’ fields and watersheds;
- Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts of ICRISAT and the CGIAR Research Programs through writing research proposals, building capacity in our partners, engaging with the University sector by co-supervising postgraduate students.
- PhD or Master’s degree in watershed management, hydrology, environmental sciences, agronomy, soil science, natural resources management
- PhD with 2 years’ experience or Masters with 8 years’ experience plus professional certification
- At least three years of experience in watershed management initiatives
- Significant expertise in the parameterization, validation and application of watershed models, including SWAT
- Considerable practical agricultural experience, including experience on watershed management and working with farmers
- Record of writing scientific papers and compiling, publishing and sharing knowledge
- Knowledge of the context of smallholder farmers in the highly vulnerable climates of the semi-arid tropics and agronomic knowledge of the major crops and cropping systems of Ethiopia and region.
- Demonstrated ability to write proposals and fund raise.
- Effective communication in English, both written and oral
- Ability to work with people at various skills and institutions;
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 57,880 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus on the outskirts of Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: SRO/09/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 21 February 2019.
To find more about ICRISAT, visit our Website at www.icrisat.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.