ICIPE Vacancy: Technical Assistants (20) – Internal/External (Closing date: 26 February 2020)
The position: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) seeks to hire twenty Technical Assistants III who will be responsible for undertaking the communication and community mobilization activities of the project in the respective programme operation Woredas. S/he will sensitize communities on programme objectives and activities and be responsible for day to day activity implementation. In collaboration with staff of local partnering institutions, s/he shall also coordinate technical and logistical arrangements for the programme activities at community level, engaging community groups and structure and liaising with all stakeholder at the local level. They will be members of icipe Ethiopia office which is located in 20 Woredas in Oromia and Tigray Regions, Ethiopia
The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology icipe and MOYESH programme PURPOSE:
icipe is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base through research and capacity building. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. The Centre currently has operations in more than 40 African countries, and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. (www.icipe.org).
icipe is partnering with Mastercard Foundation to implement the MOre Young Entrepreneurs in Silk and Honey (MOYESH) Programme. The purpose of this partnership intervention is to secure fulfilling and dignified employment and income for unemployed young women and men by scaling up integrated beekeeping and silk farming businesses, building on lessons learned from YESH project and leveraging the public-private partnerships that are already created. The MOYESH programme targets to provide 100,000 youth with appropriate skills and to enable 100,000 youth (of which 60% are female) secure dignified and fulfilling work in four target regions of Ethiopia including the Amhara; Oromia; Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples’ and Tigray Regions.
• Ensure beneficiary targeting and selection procedure and criteria are done in accordance with programme policy for target beneficiary selection and as stipulated in the programme document;
• Liaise with programme officers/technical staff about the work requirement of the programme and ensure any feedback received from beneficiaries or target communities are shared in a timely manner with programme officers and responded to appropriately;
• Support in conducting baseline surveys and assist in data collection based on needs identified under the supervision of the regional programme manager;
• Assist in establishing of honey and silk value chains, training and collection centres;
• Assist in the capacity building activities on post-harvest processing of honey, beeswax and silk;
• Assist in training farmers and extension agents on improved beekeeping and sericulture technologies;
• Assist in liaising with the district Ministry of Agriculture and Administration offices to facilitate smooth implementation of the programme;
• Carry out a range of technical tasks as well as specialized duties assigned by the regional programme manager;
• Proactively build a strong working relationship with government partners in the relevant government Bureaus and private companies;
• Maintain good working relationship with staff and partners;
• Supervise and give technical support to community workers at their working sites/Kebeles;
• Monitor progress in the assigned activities regularly and ensure delivery of quality outputs;
• Prepare and follow up operational plans on a day to day and weekly basis
• High school certificate plus certificate in relevant field and three years relevant experience
Diploma in Agriculture or other relevant field of study
Knowledge in relevant field and use of simple tools and equipment
• High school certificate with three years of relevant experience on Agriculture or relevant fields.
• Diploma with one year of relevant experience on Agriculture or relevant fields.
• Experience in participation in community mobilization and social works will be an advantage.
• Hands-on experience in working with community development activities.
• Valid driving license to ride a motorbike will be an advantage.
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural work environment.
• Good working knowledge of written and spoken English essential.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information at various levels.
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software.
• Disciplinary and multi-institutional work environment
Programme Operation Woredas in the Oromia Region where we have one vacant position for each Woreda for a Technical Assistant III and where good command of Afan Oromo is a requirement are:
1. Digga in East Wellega Zone
2. Leka Dullecha in East Wellega Zone
3. Degga in Buno Bedelle Zone
4. Dabo Hana in Buno Bedelle Zone
5. Setema in Jimma Zone
6. Sigimo in Jimma Zone
7. Alle in Illu Ababor Zone
8. Yayu in Illu Ababo Zone
9. Boset in East Shewa Zone
10. Adami Tulu in East Showa Zone
Programme Operation Woredas in Tigray Region where we have one vacant position for each Woreda for a Technical Assistant and where good command of Tigrigna is a requirement are:
1. Degua Tembien in South Eastern Zone
2. Seharti Samre in South Eastern Zone
3. Seasi Tsedaemba in Eastern Zone
4. Hawzien in Eastern Zone
5. Ahferom in Central Zone
6. Weri Lehe in Central Zone
7. Taetay Maychew in Central Zone
8. Adwa in Central Zone
9. Medebay Zena in North Western Zone
10. Taetay Koraro in North Western Zone
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS NEED TO SPECIFY THE WOREDA AND REGION THEY ARE APPLYING FOR.
Suitably qualified Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Position level: HG 9.
Minimum Base salary:
• Birr 8,500 per month (Negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. icipe offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. icipe is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae including names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees and a letter providing a point by point response to the essential and desirable person specifications. The position and reference number: TA/12/20 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 26 February 2020.
To find more about ICIPE, visit our Website at http://www.icipe.org
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert