ICIPE Vacancy: Communications and Community Development Officers (4 positions) – Internal/External (Closing date: 25 October 2019)
The position: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) seeks to hire four Communications and Community Development Officers who will be responsible for undertaking the communication and community mobilization activities of the project in the respective project regions. The MOYESH Project will develop a comprehensive communication strategy which sets out the conceptual and operational framework to implement effective documentation and dissemination of lessons learnt and achievements in implementation of the MOYESH project both at federal and region levels using federal and regional official languages. The project will also involve extensive mobilization of community resources at local level, which need to be properly facilitated and documented. They will be members of icipe Ethiopia office which is located at Regional Project Offices in SNNP, Oromia, Amhara and Tigray Regions, Ethiopia.
General: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base through research and capacity building. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. The Centre currently has operations in more than 40 African countries, and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. For more information visit: http://www.icipe.org.
icipe is partnering with Mastercard Foundation to implement the MOre Young Entrepreneurs in Silk and Honey project (MOYESH). The purpose of this partnership intervention is to secure fulfilling and dignified employment and income for unemployed young women and men by scaling up integrated beekeeping and silk farming businesses, building on lessons learned from YESH project and leveraging the public-private partnerships that are already created. The MOYESH project targets to provide 100,000 youth with appropriate skills and to enable 100,000 youth (of which 60% are female) secure dignified and fulfilling work in four target regions of Ethiopia including the Amhara; Oromia; Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples’ Region (SNNPR); and Tigray.
• Write publicity articles for the local media in the official regional language as well as in Amharic, and English languages on MOYESH project activities and achievements to the general public;
• Manage the translation, publication and dissemination of project training and extension materials in consultation with the Regional Project manager and the MOYESH Project communications Officer;
• Organize regional official events and workshops of the MOYESH project;
• Assist the MOYESH project teams in the dissemination of communication materials in the various regional media outlets;
• Contribute to the MOYESH project narrative reports, bimonthly newsletter, press releases and communication in the project website;
• Prepare photographic records of events, video documentaries and document highlights of MOYESH project activities in the Region;
• Liaise with project partners and stakeholders in the Region on sharing audio-visual and printed communication and extension materials;
Facilitate all community mobilization activities at project site level in collaboration with local project teams during interactions with communities.
• Bachelor’s degree in communication, Journalism, Social Science or other relevant field of study
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience in communications on various media outlets
• Experience in participation in community mobilization and social works will be an advantage.
• Hands-on experience in organization of events and workshops
• Relevant professional certification
• Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
• Extensive knowledge and skills in communications using electronic and printed media
• Ability to facilitate community consultations, meetings and technical workshops
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural work environment
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information at various levels
• Demonstrated ability in effective communication, from preparing communication materials to disseminating them using various outlets
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software and other software necessary for preparing and disseminating communication material
• Fluent command of the official communication language of the Region (Oromiffa in Oromia, Tigrigna in Tigray Region, Amharic in the Amhara and SNNP Regions)
• Experience working effectively in multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional work environment
Duty Station: Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples’ Region (SNNPR), Oromia, Amhara and Tigray Regions, Ethiopia
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS NEED TO SPECIFY THE REGION THEY ARE APPLYING FOR.
Position level: HG 13.
Minimum Base salary:
• Birr 21,825 per month (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. icipe offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. icipe is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities that are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae including names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees and a letter providing a point by point response to the essential and desirable person specifications. The position and reference number: CCDO/47/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 25 October 2019.
To find more about ICIPE, visit our Website at http://www.icipe.org
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert