NGO/UN Job Vacancy
Organization: Vecna Cares
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 02 Jun 2017
Director of Engineering
Vecna Cares, a healthcare and humanitarian technology non-profit organization and social enterprise, seeks a Director of Engineering who is passionate about making a positive real-world impact in under-served settings globally. You will use technical expertise to build and manage our global portfolio of technology projects in low-resource settings to create a measurable impact. Current projects include: development of an electronic medical records system for refugee camps and rural health facilities in Kenya, Zanzibar, Haiti, and Nigeria; deployment of an application to monitor safe births in labor wards in Kenya; and a data management system for athlete data for the Special Olympics. With a number of the projects globally located, there are opportunities for travel to support implementations. The position relies on a foundation of development skills coupled with encouragement for creative approaches to challenges and improvements. You will use your technical expertise to lead development of our CliniPAK software projects. Use your talent to work on high-impact global projects. This is a full-time, salaried position.
The role demands great technical depth, principled thinking, well-honed engineering judgment and management, and bold innovation. The candidate should have hands-on development experience with complex enterprise software, ideally with high-availability, distributed systems and databases, have worked with agile software development processes, have a passion for quality, and possess strong communications skills.
What you will be responsible for.
- Manage the engineering group in Cambridge; responsible for on-boarding, professional development, and performance management
- Manage the delivery of high-quality technology for a range of public health applications
- Develop, set, and manage software development roadmap in collaboration with Director of Programs and Executive Director
- Drive innovation and improvement in engineering processes to remove roadblocks and ensure consistent delivery across teams
- Take an active role in building our core platform including definition of the core architecture components and features
- Primary stakeholder in development and delivery of Vecna Cares’ next generation platform
- Developing high-quality code. This position will involve 50% daily hands-on coding.
- Represent Vecna Cares at cross-functional product team meetings and serve as primary technical liaison to other engineering teams
- Work with Product Managers and engineering management to define product requirements and coordinate development efforts across multiple teams
What you will need for working knowledge.
- 5+ years of experience leading a software engineering organization in a web-based SaaS environment
- Track record of managing and leading engineering teams of 5-10 people in Agile development, as well as recruiting/hiring/mentoring
- Ability to execute on the product strategy that moves the platform to market success while working in an Agile Software Development environment
- Experience with continuous integration and test driven development
- Experience with managing offsite teams and consultants
- Ability to effectively lead in an environment characterized by change and ambiguity
- Experience with technologies like SQL, Spring, and Struts
- Experience with HTML, CSS, XML, and JSON
- Experience developing code in a Linux/Unix environment using Git, and Eclipse or IntelliJ
- Experience or familiarity with OpenMRS preferred
- Prior growth stage startup experience preferred
- Experience or interest working in low-resource settings, in the international development space, and/or with health technology or ICT for development (ICT4D) designed for low-resource settings preferred
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
How to apply:
Apply online at http://ift.tt/2acw2lp
VecnaCares positions are listed on the page.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.