NGO/UN Job Vacancy
Organization: Population Services International
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 16 Jun 2017
Deputy Director – SIFPO2 FP/RH project
Department: Family Planning and Reproductive Health
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 20% international travel
Reports to the Director of SIFPO2
Who we are
We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI seeks a Deputy Director for a USAID-funded family planning project Support for International Family Planning Project: Sustainable Networks (SIFPO 2) that runs from 2014-2019. We want someone who can bring enthusiasm, expertise, an ability to organize and engage people and an ability to make things happens.
This position involves many innovative and interesting areas (PSI encourages people with a can-do attitude who can get things done) with a mix of strategic work at a global level as well as coordination of people and tasks to ensure effective grant management.
This full-time position is based in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Director SIFPO2 within the Family Planning and Reproductive Health Department. Approximately 20% international travel is required. There are management responsibilities for this position. The position is contingent upon USAID approval of the applicants CV.
More information about SIFPO 2 can be found on the PSI website at http://ift.tt/1P3AuBG. This position is funded until 2019.
Sound like you? Read on.
YOU WILL…Always be doing something different every day! Some examples include:
- Lead in the design, implementation & monitoring of the centrally funded SIFP02 activities. These are a series of approx. 25-30 small-scale annual interventions funded via 'core funds*'*, led *by different members of the SIFPO2 team in DC and PSI staff at co*untry*-level. These are implemented in* places as diverse as Mali, Mozambique or Nepal.
- Oversee and assist the program management of Mission field support programs. These field support programs are developed in country, in partnership with country teams, regional teams, technical teams, project partners and USAID. Each of the team members of SIFPO2 oversees and supports 1-2 field support programs; but the Deputy has oversight of the overall program management aspect of all of these (budgets, spend, workplans, reports etc) and also manages 1 field support program themselves. Examples of current field support programs include Ghana, Malawi and Swaziland. A key role for the Deputy is ensuring the PSI regional teams are adequately supported to oversee the field support and that the roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders are known at country & regional levels and within the SIFPO 2 team.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building aimed at increasing access to family planning and reproductive health services and improving sustainability. We are open to what your technical expertise can be; you may be an expert in the clinical aspects of FP programming, social franchising, or a generalist in program management of large SRH programs. We are open to being impressed and surprised by what you can bring to the table.
- Oversee/manage 2-3 Sub Awards/Partners of the SIFPO 2 program. The Deputy should know how to manage partnerships effectively.
- Provide leadership and strategic insights in all areas prioritized by the project. Members of the SIFPO 2 team have expertise in youth, gender, knowledge management, south to south TA, quality assurance for family planning and the Deputy shall engage in this work when required.
- Oversee annual planning and project reporting such as the annual work plan to USAID, financial reports and the semi-annual and annual reports.
- Represent PSI and the Director with key stakeholders as necessary.
- Perform other duties as necessary to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of PSI deliverables for the SIFPO 2 Award.
What are we looking for?
- Master's degree
- At least 6 years of professional experience in implementing or managing family planning/SRH projects
- Demonstrated leadership in family planning/SRH oriented organizational capacity building
- Significant experience of delivering a health-related program in a developing country context is highly desirable
- Familiarity with USAID is essential
- Experience working on mainstreaming gender and/or youth health programming into RH/FP service delivery is highly desirable
- Experience in Market shaping/ 'Total Market Approaches' s is a big plus
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills proficiency in French, Spanish or Portuguese is a plus
- Experience and excellence in working & managing large, diverse teams
- Calm and organized under pressure; there's a lot of work to do, the occasional challenge, and this person will be able to accommodate this pressure and manage it STATUS
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this positon
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply: