NGO/UN Job Vacancy
Organization: Syria Relief
Country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Closing date: 04 Jun 2017
SALARY: £26,000 - £30,000 Full time
REPORTING TO: Chief Finance Officer (CFO) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Terms of Employment:
Permanent post, three-month probationary period and subject to advanced security checks - namely Accuity check, clearance will be required prior to any offer of employment.
Overview of the Organisation
Syria Relief (SR) is a UK-Registered non-governmental, non-political, non-denominational charitable organisation that was set up in response to the crisis that has engulfed Syria since March 2011. The Charity has a turnover of £18m p.a., the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Trustees are passionate in their commitment in sustaining SR’s position as the leading UK-based, Syria-focused humanitarian organisation. Syria Relief is determined to adapt and grow, in order to help casualties of the Syrian War to rebuild their lives.
Overview of the Role
The Finance Manager is a key member of the Senior Management Team responsible for the day to day accounting and financial management of the charity and its subsidiaries. The Finance Manager is also responsible for budgeting, reporting on the financial performance to management and the Board of Trustees.
- Statutory financial reporting for audit, in line with SORP, FRS102 Charity finance and legislation
• Prepare Statements of Recommended Practice (SORPs), Financial Reporting Standard (FRS 102) accounts and arrange audit. Liaise with auditors and prepare year-end audit files and supporting documents.
• Prepare accounts for any subsidiary or related company accounts
• Prepare quarterly management accounts
• Preparation of Annual Budget and forecasts
• Monthly bank reconciliations
• Receive all purchase invoices and ensure they are appropriately authorised in accordance with the financial procedures
• Make payments of all authorised invoices by BACS or cheque
• Raise all invoices and requests for payment; chase outstanding invoices
• Resolve all supplier enquiries
• Receive all receipts and ensure payments are appropriately allocated
• Collect monies received from donations and deposit at the bank
• Create appropriate book-keeping entries, create accruals where necessary
- Communicating strategy and policy decisions to senior management
• Provide sound financial advice to Trustees, the Chief Executive Officer, CFO and other senior management, acting as the leading interface between management and Trustees on financial matters
• Liaise with Turkey office to receive the financial information and prepare monthly management accounts and year end accounts.
• Maintain regular liaison with the Treasurer
• Contribute to the strategic direction of the Charity
• Ensure that the appropriate vision and processes are in place to ensure the long-term financial viability of the charity, advise CFO/CEO on the financial consequences of proposed actions.
• Lead the charity’s strategy planning and budgeting processes ensuring strong processes are in place for resource allocation and performance monitoring at all levels of the charity.
• Ensure the charity is aware of its accountability to its stakeholders and that all relationships are managed, monitored and considered in the development of the charity.
• Ensure financial policies and procedures are up to date
• Ensure appropriate risk management techniques and financial controls are embedded throughout the charity at strategic and operational levels.
- Producing and presenting financial reports
• Cash flow forecasting
• Tax and Gift Aid issues
• Prepare analysis of financial information for monitoring reports when required
- Providing an external interface with banks, auditors, pension funds, investment managers, consultants and charity finance specialists
• Completion & submission of Annual Returns for Charity Commission and Companies House
• Pension Administration
• Prepare & submit Gift Aid claims
Manage relationships with the outsourced payroll provider, ensure accurate and timely payment
Assist with the financial aspects of grant applications
Ensure appropriate backups of financial information are stored off site
Assist with financial aspects of contract negotiations
Assist with financial aspects of project proposals
Provide and/or co-ordinate all accounting and taxation services and advice to the charity
Provide management, support and development to all teams and team members within their areas of responsibility
Attend regular meetings with the Chief Executive Officer, Treasurer and Auditors.
To provide verbal and written reports as may be required by the Chief Executive Officer and for the Board of Trustees.
To be committed to the work of Syria Relief and to promote team working.
To work in accordance with the organisation’s policies and procedures.
Such other appropriate duties as may be required from the organisation from time to time.
· To promote SR’s vision and mission and to uphold the Charity’s values in all day to day activities and delivery of services.
· Take business accountability for the delivery of shared business responsibilities e.g. relevant contribution to the Charity’s Objectives, Risk Register and Assurance Framework.
· To ensure that SR develops a culture that promotes equality and values diversity and that the service you provide meets the needs of all stakeholders. This may involve the development and monitoring of policies and procedures to ensure the services you provide are inclusive to all.
· To participate in SR related events as and when required.
· In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent legislation, the post holder is required to undertake a proactive role in the management of risks in all their actions. This includes:
o Undertaking risk assessments in line with the SR risk assessment process;
o Reporting all incidents, near misses and hazards in line with the SR’s reporting arrangements/system
o Undertaking a statutory duty of care for your own personal safety and that of others
o Attending all statutory and mandatory health and safety training, appropriate to the role.
Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA)
Strong working knowledge and experience of financial reporting and preparation of statutory accounts
SORP, FRS102 Charity finance and legislation
Knowledge and Skills
Ability to critically appraise the financial systems, processes and controls, and identify and implement changes to the processes and procedures to strengthen the control environment
Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, inter-cultural sensitivity and confidence in dealing with a wide range of partners;
Ability to work well in an international environment across different geographical locations
Good understanding of the Humanitarian crisis affecting Syria and the region.
Ability to manage and prioritise a varied workload and competing deadlines to meet commitments
Willingness to perform other duties as required
Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects.
Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
Ability to work variable hours, with occasional weekend and evening work
Alacrity to travel national and international, frequently to our UK London and Turkey office and other offices as necessary.
Basic Arabic speaking skills
How to apply:
Please email application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Job Title in the subject line, or post to BHMC, College Road, Whalley Range, Manchester, M16 8BP; your application by Sunday 4th June 2017 which should consist of the following:-
- Application form, this can be downloaded from our websitewww.syriarelief.org.uk
- A covering letter briefly outlining how you meet the required qualities and skills and how you would manage the key duties and responsibilities and where appropriate, evidence (maximum 1,000 words).
- How you can demonstrate you have full rights to work in the UK.
We reserve the right to close this post early, where we receive a high number of applications and you are advised to submit your completed application form as early as possible, to avoid disappointment. Initial interviews to take place week commencing 12th June, 2017 and suitable candidates will be invited to a second interview week commencing 19th June 2017.
Applicants are encouraged to visit our website, http://ift.tt/1JTXXCm read the job description carefully and person specification to assist you in completing your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If any of the three requirements are missing in your application, your application will not be considered.
Please mention where you heard of this vacancy when you apply for this position.SR believes in treating everyone with dignity and respect and encourages applications from all sectors of the community.
Please note, the position you are applying for has been identified as requiring an Accuity Check.