NGO/UN Job Vacancy
Organization: Handicap International
Closing date: 26 May 2017
PRESENTATION OF THE ORGANISATION
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity. Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
For further information about the association: http://ift.tt/uP0MBh
Present in more than 55 countries, Handicap International is composed of 2 operational directions:
- The Direction of Humanitarian Action (DAH)
- The Direction of Development Action (DAD)
Handicap International started in Somaliland in 1992 by setting up a rehabilitation centre in Hargeisa. HI’s strategy in Somaliland is to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities (PWDs) and to engage development actors to promote inclusion and participation of PWDs at local and national level. From 2010-2014, HI implemented a Human Rights project entitled “Enhanced participation of Somalis with disability for human rights and democracy in Somaliland and Puntland”. This project strengthened the capacity of 15 Disable People Organizations (DPOs) at grassroots level to empower people with disability to actively promote and advocate for their rights for protection and inclusion. A major outcome of this intervention was the development of a Disability Policy for Somaliland and Puntland.
Currently, HI has a small team based in Somaliland: An Acting Field Coordinator, who is also the Inclusive Elections Project Manager, and a Field Administrator. These two positions are supported by office support staff (guards, driver). HI has a field office in Hargeisa and the operation is able to reach all 6 regions of Somaliland. The field office is supervised by the regional office, based in Nairobi, overseen by the regional senior management team including the Operational Coordinator, the Finance and Logistics Coordinator, Human Resources Manager and the Regional Program Director. These staff member conduct regular visits to the field office.
INFORMATION ON THE MISSION CONTEXT
In Northern Somalia (Somaliland and Puntland), the severe drought is affecting more than 240,000 people and more than 5 million people are living in areas currently experiencing drought. The Government of Somaliland declared drought on August 10, 2015 and failure of rainfall in two consecutive (Gu) seasons have resulted in acute shortage of water for farming, livestock and human consumption. These conditions have triggered a massive shortage of food, fodder, rapidly drying pasture and water. Consequently, malnutrition has increased among infants, children, elderly persons, persons with disabilities, women- especially pregnant and lactating mothers. Several humanitarian organizations coordinated by the Somaliland National Drought Committee (NDC) are currently scaling up their emergency response. The response focuses on basic needs - primarily around food security and WASH. However, based on Handicap International experience, the basic needs response does not include vulnerable persons/groups, not only of persons with disabilities but of those individuals, particularly children, who experience severe acute malnutrition which can result in development delays, as well as those that develop psycho-social trauma as a result of the emergency and related trauma. HI recently approached donors with a proposition of project in Somaliland consisting in a) conducting a comprehensive needs assessment on the impacts of the drought on vulnerable persons/groups and b) intervening in specific emergency response components based on HI’s expertise (e.g. stimulation and physical therapy for children with severe acute malnutrition, psychosocial support etc). Other project proposals are currently in process in response to the crisis in Somaliland.
- Support the operational team in the opening of the new emergency project ;
- Ensure that the team is fully settled in order to be able to start the activities ;
- Negotiate and liaise with local and administrative authorities as well as with local suppliers;
- Maintain and develop the administrative, finance, HR and logistic organisation and operating framework ;
- Ensure the respect of HI and donor Administrative, Financial, HR and Logistics guidelines ;
- Team management
- Report to the Emergency Coordinator and HQ
- At least 2 years’ experience in administration preferably and admin position within international organisations
- Experience in opening a base is mandatory
- Proven experience in project writing and reporting – budget drafting
- English mandatory (oral and written)
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Ability to work under high pressure and without constant supervision
- Good organisational skills, co-ordination and the transfer of knowledge
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to team work
- Ability to work in a tense context with strict security measures.
- Salary from 2,200€(gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate)
- Perdiem : 550€ (net)
- Hardship allowance: 250€ (net)
- Insurances : medical health coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
- Paid holiday : 25 days per year
- R&R : to be determined
- Status : position open only to individual posting
- Housing : collective taken in charge by Handicap International
How to apply: