NGO/UN Job Vacancy
Organization: Land O'Lakes International Development
Closing date: 17 Jun 2017
Senior Livestock Consultant
Land O'Lakes International Development is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-folk, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets. Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth. By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.
The senior livestock technical advisor will provide technical leadership and support to the assessment and design of dairy and livestock market system development projects over a 2-3 month period. Estimated LOE is 15-20 days.
The consultant will provide support to 2-3 upcoming bids in Kenya and Rwanda in the months of June - September.
- Technical assessments; conduct field work to collect information, data and analysis to support evidence-based project design and target setting.
Prioritization and analysis of key economic opportunities for inclusive growth as part of the technical assessment may include
Financial modeling of on and off-farm livestock-based business opportunities
Economic opportunities and barriers to women and youth engagement in on and off farm business opportunities
Estimation of economic losses due to spoilage/waste/animal mortality
Evaluation of meat, milk, egg and live animal supply chains
Systems for quality-based payment programs
Technical design: lead or support technical project design in dairy/livestock space – including theory of change development, technical input, review and support during project design and proposal development.
Technical writing: Develop written input for proposal sections stemming from technical assessment and design efforts
Management of in-country consultants that may be recruited for additional technical support in new program development
Contracted by Senior Manager of Technical Areas based in Shoreview, MN with work direction provided by New Business Development leads
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Advanced degree in agriculture/animal science/animal health, agribusiness, agriculture economics, or relevant field;
• Experience in technical assessment, design and/or implementation of USAID programs in Africa
• Prior experience leading livestock/dairy market assessments and market systems analyses - prioritization of interventions and project design for large-scale projects;
• Strong understanding of private sector-led approaches to livestock/dairy market system development, preferably in Africa
• Detailed understanding of role of livestock/dairy in household resilience, particularly in vulnerable communities;
• Experience in building livestock or dairy service delivery systems, (genetics, veterinary, preventive animal health, and private sector services businesses) around livestock or dairy production and processing;
• Demonstrated experience in networking with donors, government officials and the private sector as part of capture and design processes;
• Demonstrated experience in proposal development and writing;
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships;
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills; and
• Must be fluent in English.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
• Prior working experience in the dairy/livestock sectors of Kenya and Rwanda;
• Experience in making livestock or dairy markets and market systems sustainable at scale;
• Experience making livestock development approaches more gender inclusive a plus;
• Experience in fragile environments preferred
How to apply: