NGO/UN Job Vacancy
Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 30 May 2017
Flying Legal Advisor
6 months – 100%
This position is based in the field, travelling from mission to mission.
This position of Flying Legal Advisor (FLA) is created in agreement with MSF International Legal department and MSF Switzerland (OCG) with the aim of fostering the implementation of international policy regarding (1) tax exemption in MSF field missions and (2) governance and registration issues, and to increase the general tax, corporate and legal support to field mission.https://wordtohtml.net/
Dedicated to the field level support and liaison between the legal department SHIELD Platform and the MSF field missions, the general objective of the FLA is to identify, support and implement best practices with regards to taxation matters and corporate issues in the countries operations.
Analyse taxation as applied by MSF
- Analyze tax exemptions granted to MSF through MOUs
- Identify taxes paid by MSF and how MSF complies with applicable framework, and compare OCs practices
- Collect the history of tax submission done by MSF in the past 3 to 7 years (litigation, audits, tax report, etc.).
- Financially assess the amounts at stake in case of tax arrears for each of the OCs
Identify the fiscal and legal obligations
- Collect the legal and administrative documentation on taxation (including but not limited to: taxes on international and national staff, taxes importation, return visa, stamp duties, annual financial audit, WHT, VAT, etc.)
- Analyze the different levels of taxation, the competent authorities and powers
- Collect and analyze NGOs/IOs precedents and practices regarding tax and exemptions
- Evaluate the level of risk of tax audit and provide a compliance strategy accordingly
Tax exemptions Negotiations
- Identify and assess a local fiscal lawyer capable of advising and representing MSF with respect to any tax issue
- Identify the legal and political options and process for tax exemptions (procedures and requirements, type of organizations, profile, sector of activities, budget, donors, etc.) and assess likelihood of success
- Identify mitigation measures
Registration of MSF
- Collect the legal and administrative documentation on MSF registration(s)
- In link with the international governance policy, support the field – when necessary – to choose the best registration’s option and implement the necessary set-up
- Assess risks of the registration set-up and list legal duties related to MSF status
- Identify the legal and political options to adapt the applicable framework to MSF nature (MOU negotiations, exemption of certain procedures, simplified audit)
- Collect administrative constraints faced by operations (visa, WP, importations, local purchase, contracts…)
- Assess risks related to those constraints and list legal duties related to MSF
- Support the field – when necessary – to identify mitigations measures and implement the necessary set-up
- Identify the legal and political options to adapt the applicable framework to MSF nature (MOU negotiations, exemption of certain procedures, simplified audit).
- University degree in Law, with specialisation in tax and/or corporate law
- Experience as legal advisor (tax advisor an asset)
- Experience with in international companies/organisations an asset
- Experience in dealing with tax/admin authorities
- English : fluent
- French : fluent
- Strong analytical skills
- Ablility to write friendly-user guidelines
- Excellent command of Windows Office
- Highly autonomous
- strong communication skills
- Good presentation skills (Ministries and other administrations)
Terms of Employment
- Field-based position (various missions up to 80% of the time) with visits to HQ in Geneva.
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF OCG volunteer handbook.
- Fixed-term and part-time contract (6 months, 100%)
- Ideal starting date: 1st July 2017
- Gross monthly salary : CHF 5'500.- (based on a 100% position)
- Social Benefits: Health insurance and living costs in the countries of intervention and at HQ, paid according to internal regulations
How to apply:
How to apply
Interested candidates should forward their complete application (CV 2 p. max., letter of motivation 1p. max. in English or French, 5MB max) to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “Flying Legal Advisor 2017.05” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is 30th May 2017.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more details on the job offer or MSF, please visit our website: http://ift.tt/1AQefdX