NGO/UN Job Vacancy
Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 05 Jun 2017
Position Title : Consultant-Project Manager (EU EOM)
Duty Station : Luanda, Angola
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE Type of Appointment : Consultant, 3 months Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 05 June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
European Union Election Observation Missions (EU EOMs) to beneficiary countries are projects financed by the European Commission and implemented through contracting the selected Service Provider under FWC EuropeAid/136781/DH/SER/Multi - Lot 1. Following a selection procedure as laid down in FWC EuropeAid/136781/DH/SER/Multi - Lot 1, the European Commission, in order to implement this project, will conclude a specific contract with the successful FWC Contractor for the provision of essential logistics, financial, security, and other support services needed for the successful implementation of the European Union (EU) Election observation missions (EOM).
IOM is therefore looking for candidates with experience in logistical management of election observation mission conducted by the EU, Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Carter Center or other organizations.
Under the supervision of the Project Director (based in Europe),the Project Manager will create necessary logistics and administrative conditions for deployment and repatriation of the EU EOM (equipment procurement, financial and contractual aspects of the EU EOM implementation, international transportations, visas etc.). S/he will liaise with the Chief Observer and relevant services of the European Commission on a regular basis.
S/he will coordinate with the EU EOM all the operational aspects of the observer’s deployment throughout the country. Working in close cooperation with the Logistics and Security Experts
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Be responsible and accountable for the overall management of the EU EOM and exercise the financial and budgetary control.
Set up the EU EOM office according to the requirements specified in the EU EOM Terms of Reference. S/he will meet any other requirements of the current and future EU EOM needs that may arise during the implementation period.
Identify and preselect the local support staff prior to the arrival of the Core Team members. To undertake, in close collaboration with the CT members upon their arrival, the final selection, recruitment and contracting of the local support staff.
Identify suitable accommodation for all EU EOM Mission members prior to their arrival and provide assistance at the airport upon arrival.
Identify most competitive local service providers (including drivers and assistants/interpreters) available in the country and set up the relevant procurement procedures with respect to renting necessary equipment and vehicles and preparation of observer and medical kits in support of the implementation of the EU EOM. The vehicles and equipment requirements are specified in the EU EOM Terms of Reference.
Liaise closely with the elections authorities in the host country for timely arrangement of accreditations.
Build and maintain close coordination, relation and communication with the Core Team members upon their arrival and provide all required support, including a briefing on security/logistics.
Provide support and advice on logistics and security issues to the Core Team members in designing the deployment and evacuation plans. In close coordination with the Security and the Operations Experts, make necessary logistics and security arrangement for efficient operations of the EU EOM.
Arrange briefing/training and debriefing sessions for the LTOs/STOs prior to and upon their deployment respectively in close collaboration with the Core Team and participate in these sessions to share relevant information on the deployment.
Ensure distribution and retrieval of equipment to/from the EU EOM members, and report to the EC.
Be in charge of administrative issues at the EU EOM's HQ.
Manage the SP team on the ground.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, International Relations or a related field or in absence of University degree, relevant professional experience of at least 5 years to be added to the required general professional experience.
• At least 10 years **** of post-graduate work experience in management, implementation and administration in international, preferably large-scale operations in a multi-cultural environment in a similar position;
**** In case the applicant has not worked continuously, but on consultancy contracts with intermittent periods of no employment, the total number of months worked must total 120 months of post-graduate professional experience and must total 180 months, in the absence of a university degree.
• Working experience under difficult logistical and security conditions and environment (at least one assignment);
• Experience in team management, preferably in international environment;
• Experience in budget management;
• Past election observation and management experience as responsible of logistics of Election
Observation Missions would be an asset;
• Experience in Angola or the region would be an asset;
• Knowledge of European Union institutions and European Commission procedures.
Fluency in English and Portuguese is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 05 June 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 23.05.2017 to 05.06.2017
Requisition: CON 2017/30- Consultant-Project Manager (EU EOM) - Luanda, Angola (55065329) Released
Posting: Posting NC55065330 (55065330) Released